February 8, 2011

Are you Serious?

So yesterday was an eventful day to say the least.  First of all, I get a call and an email from Lucas' school stating that they are shutting down for the next 2 days (Tuesday and Wednesday) not because of weather, but because of the FLU!  Now I appreciate their efforts in trying to contain it since they were at 80% attendance yesterday and the check out list of sick children was extensive.  However, I do see A LOT of stay at home moms coming in and out of that school on a daily basis.  More power to them.  That is a full time job in and of itself.  But what about we families that both parents work outside the home?  I don't have retired parents or a daycare center to just drop him off.  If my child is sick, I stay home with him.  I just find it a little bit weird that we have to stay home when someone else's kid is sick.  Hmmmm.  Granted, I have a flexible job where I can take Lucas to work with me so I can get a few things done, but I just wonder about others.  That is just me being me.

In addition to the call from school, I received a strange call at work too.   Around 3:30 or 4 yesterday a strange man calls to tell us that our late 60-something in office accountant had been hit by a car while walking in the neighborhood.  WTH?  I wasn't expecting that!  She what?!?!  She walks almost every day, rain or shine, to get her exercise.  I respect her for that.  And really, this wasn't her fault.  Some idiot didn't see her.  Luckily, she only has a broken leg (in 2 places below the knee) and a sprained ankle.  She is in the hospital.  They offered surgery or a full leg cast.  I think she is going for the full leg cast.  Can't say I blame her.  Bless her heart.  So, when you say your prayers, remember Ms. Gayle.  She was one lucky lady.  I guess we are all just one step away from being hit by a bus.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment